Corning Incorporated (NYSE:GLW) will highlight innovations that help network operators stay ahead of demand for high-bandwidth capabilities at the 2019 Optical Networking and Communication Conference & Exhibition (OFC) March 5-7 in San Diego.
In Booth 2822, Corning experts will demonstrate solutions for every segment of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware, and equipment to fully-optimized solutions for high-speed communications networks. Corning’s innovations focus on helping operators deliver on the promise of emerging applications, with solutions that accelerate deployment, enhance network performance, and minimize total cost of ownership.
“Our industry has arrived at a pivotal moment where an optical fabric is becoming the foundation enabler for true 5G in access networks, as well as high-performance applications like augmented reality and artificial intelligence in hyperscale data centers,” said Claudio Mazzali, senior vice president of technology, Corning Optical Communications. “Corning works with its customers – no matter where they are in their network evolution – to help them unlock the opportunities presented by these emerging technologies.”
Visitors to Corning's booth can see:
- A demonstration of Corning® TXF™ fiber, an ultra-low loss, silica-core fiber with a large effective area, which enables high data-rate transmission over longer spans and extended reach. The demonstration will show how TXF fiber can enable two 200-km subsea backhaul links to support 400 Tb/s transatlantic subsea transmission – creating a seamless end-to-end ITU-T G.654 compliant fiber solution on land and under sea.
- A demonstration of live 400G traffic over Corning’s ClearCurve® multimode fiber and SMF-28® Ultra fiber using Corning’s award-winning EDGE8™ solution for data centers. The demonstration will show how the EDGE8 solution provides a simple migration path to transmission speeds up to 400G and beyond – helping data center operators stay ahead of requirements for emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence.
- Innovations in Corning’s cable product line, including smaller, denser designs that enable faster, easier installation. Corning’s RocketRibbon™ extreme-density cable is among the finalists being recognized in the Lightwave Innovation Reviews during the conference.
- A total infrastructure solution for local area network, cellular, and building system networks that offers unparalleled scalability and flexibility now and for future demands. This fiber-deep solution combines the high bandwidth of a fiber infrastructure, the safety of low-voltage remote powering, and the flexibility of a software defined LAN.
- Innovations added to Corning’s portfolio through its 2018 acquisition of the Communication Markets Division of 3M. These include the Clear Track Hallway Fiber Pathway, a surface-mounted, clear adhesive-backed solution that enables fast and easy fiber optic installation with minimal disruption for tenants in multidwelling units. Clear Track is another Lightwave Innovation Reviews finalist.
In one of its newest innovations, Corning will highlight an adiabatic glass coupling capability, a low-loss coupling solution for next-generation integrated photonic connectivity. This fiber-to-the-chip solution provides the lowest insertion loss over wide bandwidths compared with other coupling alternatives – making it ideally suited for 400G pluggable transceivers as well as potential future optical co-packaging designs. Visitors to the Corning booth can see results of insertion loss testing conducted by optical transceiver provider Finisar.
“Low insertion loss over wide bandwidths has been a challenge for dense-optical to silicon-photonic connectivity,” said Daniel Mahgerefteh, director of advanced technology at Finisar. “Adiabatic glass coupling is a novel solution to provide reliably high performance multi-fiber connectivity compatible with next-generation chip designs. This demonstration is an important milestone for the future of optical transceivers and the role that silicon photonics will play.”
Conference attendees can also sign up for tours highlighting key parts of Corning’s Distributed Antenna System, which provides enhanced cellular connectivity at the San Diego Convention Center, site of the conference.
Caution Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” (within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995), which are based on current expectations and assumptions about Corning’s financial results and business operations, that involve substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially. These risks and uncertainties include: the effects of acquisitions, dispositions and other similar transactions by the Company, the effect of global business, financial, economic and political conditions; tariffs and import duties; currency fluctuations between the U.S. dollar and other currencies, primarily the Japanese yen, New Taiwan dollar, euro, Chinese yuan, and South Korean won; product demand and industry capacity; competitive products and pricing; availability and costs of critical components and materials; new product development and commercialization; order activity and demand from major customers; the amount and timing of our cash flows and earnings and other conditions, which may affect our ability to pay our quarterly dividend at the planned level or to repurchase shares at planned levels; possible disruption in commercial activities due to terrorist activity, cyber-attack, armed conflict, political or financial instability, natural disasters, or major health concerns; unanticipated disruption to equipment, facilities, IT systems or operations; effect of regulatory and legal developments; ability to pace capital spending to anticipated levels of customer demand; rate of technology change; ability to enforce patents and protect intellectual property and trade secrets; adverse litigation; product and components performance issues; retention of key personnel; customer ability, most notably in the Display Technologies segment, to maintain profitable operations and obtain financing to fund their ongoing operations and manufacturing expansions and pay their receivables when due; loss of significant customers; changes in tax laws and regulations including the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017; and the potential impact of legislation, government regulations, and other government action and investigations.
For a complete listing of risks and other factors, please reference the risk factors and forward-looking statements described in our annual reports on Form 10-K and quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the day that they are made, and Corning undertakes no obligation to update them in light of new information or future events.
In accordance with guidance provided by the SEC regarding the use of company websites and social media channels to disclose material information, Corning Incorporated (“Corning”) wishes to notify investors, media, and other interested parties that it uses its website (http://www.corning.com/worldwide/en/about-us/news-events.html) to publish important information about the company, including information that may be deemed material to investors, or supplemental to information contained in this or other press releases. The list of websites and social media channels that the company uses may be updated on Corning’s media and website from time to time. Corning encourages investors, media, and other interested parties to review the information Corning may publish through its website and social media channels as described above, in addition to the company’s SEC filings, press releases, conference calls, and webcasts.
About Corning Incorporated
Corning (www.corning.com) is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science, with a more than 165-year track record of life-changing inventions. Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science, ceramic science, and optical physics along with its deep manufacturing and engineering capabilities to develop category-defining products that transform industries and enhance people's lives. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in RD&E, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and deep, trust-based relationships with customers who are global leaders in their industries.
Corning's capabilities are versatile and synergistic, which allows the company to evolve to meet changing market needs, while also helping our customers capture new opportunities in dynamic industries. Today, Corning's markets include optical communications, mobile consumer electronics, display technology, automotive, and life sciences vessels. Corning's industry-leading products include damage-resistant cover glass for mobile devices; precision glass for advanced displays; optical fiber, wireless technologies, and connectivity solutions for state-of-the-art communications networks; trusted products to accelerate drug discovery and delivery; and clean-air technologies for cars and trucks.