Complying with Global Government Mandates Compassionately and
Protecting Our Communities
Local, state, and national governments across the globe are responding to the threat of COVID-19 by, among other mandates, requiring offices and other facilities to shut down, imposing shelter-in-place, or requiring remote work activities. In these orders, officials have designated certain businesses as essential, critical, or life-sustaining, and therefore exempt from such restrictions. Our employees have been impacted by these orders in a variety of ways.
- Most of Corning’s manufacturing facilities in locations impacted by government directives have been deemed essential, critical, or life sustaining because they manufacture products that are necessary to support essential infrastructure, industries, or the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
- We have directed most Corning employees at our global non-manufacturing facilities to work remotely for the time being.
- Unfortunately, not all roles allow for remote work, and therefore government mandates have resulted in select involuntary layoffs. We are taking important actions to ease the financial burden for impacted employees during this challenging period.
- Similarly, for those employees with technical responsibilities who are not able to work from home and who have continued working in one of our Corning facilities classified as essential by government order, we recognize that imposes different kinds of challenges. We have provided each employee who falls into this category with additional compensation, in addition to normal compensation and benefits.
As governments make additional recommendations or update precautionary measures in real time, we will respond, all the while maintaining our commitment to workplace safety and good corporate citizenship.
Our protocols and technology for remote work have been activated to meet the evolving needs of our employees during this time, including support for their wellbeing. Our stakeholders can be assured that Corning is closely adhering to COVID-19 guidance from the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which we track at all times.Supporting the Health and Safety of Our Employees: “Responsible Corning”
Directed by our chief health officer, Corning has mounted a significant, multifaceted response to COVID-19. This includes “Responsible Corning,” a communications campaign directed at our employees, providing current information about personal health precautions, travel protocols, and regional restrictions. Some of the guidelines already implemented include:
- Suspension of international business travel and limited domestic travel within the U.S.
- Suspension of attendance at conferences and other large events
- Enhanced cleaning procedures implemented at all locations
- New measures for site visitations and entry screenings