Corning’s Gorilla Glass for Automotive team is working closely with many of the world’s top automakers to change and improve the driving experience.
Driving innovation to enable cleaner, safer and more connected cars
In the highly competitive automotive marketplace, innovation has been a constant since Henry Ford rolled out his first Model T. Yet automotive glass technology has remained relatively unchanged for nearly a century. Today, Gorilla Glass for Automotive is looking to change that. Lightweight, tough and optically advantaged, Gorilla Glass for Automotive has caught the attention of leading automakers and consumers alike — driving innovation to enable cleaner, safer and more connected cars.
Cleaner Cars — When used as part of an automobile’s windows, Gorilla Glass enables more than one-third weight reduction compared with conventional car windows. This weight reduction can contribute to better fuel efficiency and significantly lower carbon dioxide emissions. That’s no small matter in the face of government regulations and worldwide demand for more environmentally friendly automobiles.
Safer Cars — By design, lightweight Gorilla Glass contributes to lighter vehicle weights, which can improve a car’s acceleration, handling and braking performance. Two times tougher than conventional soda lime glass, Gorilla Glass for Automotive translates into 50% fewer windshield cracks and replacements. And finally, Gorilla Glass for Automotive features three times improved optical clarity, delivering clearer and brighter windows that are also equipped to enable a three times larger viewing area for next-generation Head-Up Displays, with dramatically brighter and sharper images.
Connected Cars — Without question, the same connectivity consumers enjoy with their smartphones, tablets and wearables is now being integrated into the driving experience. With its industry-leading damage-resistance, optical clarity and touch sensitivity, Gorilla Glass enables an excellent multi-touch response, better viewing and an enhanced communication experience for a more connected car. And unlike existing glass technologies for interiors, Gorilla Glass can be easily and more cost efficiently formed into three-dimensional shapes, curving precisely around consoles and dashboards for enhanced ergonomics and design appeal.
What consumers want in order to improve their driving experiences
Gorilla Glass for Automotive
Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive hit the road – and won fans in the automotive design market – during a high-profile 2016.
Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive hit the road – and won fans in the automotive design market – during a high-profile 2016.Read More
Corning Gorilla Glass for Automotive offers triple play of advantages: Lighter, tougher, better optics.
Corning Gorilla Glass for Automotive offers triple play of advantages: Lighter, tougher, better optics.Read More
READ ALL ABOUT IT
- Featured: Corning Unveils Vision for Ultimate Driving Experience at CES 2017
- Article: Gorilla House: Smartphone Tech Will Lighten Your Greenhouse – Technologue
- News Releases: Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive Featured at the Paris Motor Show
- White Paper: Thin,Tough Glass—A New Design Reality.
- News Release: Corning and Ford to Deliver Joint Research on Lightweight Glass Solutions at SAE World Congress and Exhibition
- Article: Glass: The Ultimate Driving Partner
- Article: Envisioning Next-Generation Automobiles
- News Release: Saint-Gobain and Corning Announce New Joint Venture to Produce Lightweight Glazing for the Automotive Market
- Article: First Corning® Gorilla® Glass windshield featured in Ford GT
- News Releases: Ford GT First Production Vehicle to Use Lightweight Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Windshield
- White Paper: Novel Lightweight Laminate Concept with Ultrathin Chemically Strengthened Glass for Automotive Windshields
- Article: Glass Holds the Key to Revolutionary Improvement in Automobiles
- News Release: Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive Receives BMW Supplier Innovation Award