Corning equipment is sold in Finland by distributors. The distributor imports the equipment into Finland. Thus the distributor has the legal responsibility to:
- Register as the WEEE producer in Finland
- Finance arrangements for collection and recycling of WEEE arising from Corning equipment that the distributor sells in Finland
Under the Finnish Waste Act which implements regulations for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) which came into force on August 13th 2005, for equipment that you buy from a Corning distributor after August 13th 2005, the distributor is required to finance the collection, treatment, recycling and recovery of the waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that your new purchase replaces, on a one-for-one, like-for-like basis. The old equipment that your new purchase from the Corning distributor replaces is referred to as Historic WEEE.
Under the Waste Act, the distributor is also required to finance the collection, treatment, recycling and recovery of any new electrical and electronic equipment that you buy from the distributor after August 13th 2005, when that new equipment eventually becomes waste. This is referred to as New WEEE.
Corning has decided to provide WEEE collection and recycling on behalf of its distributors in Finland.
Corning products are very competitively priced. Any new increase in operating costs for manufacturers such as Corning is normally reflected in a price increase in the product. However, instead of increasing the prices of our products, Corning has decided to share these new environmental costs directly with our customers. We believe in being transparent with you on any new environmental costs that our products need to address.
Our approach to sharing these new environmental costs is:
- Corning pays for the costs of treatment, recycling and recovery of the WEEE to meet the targets set by Finland WEEE Regulations;
- Corning pays for the costs of data management and reporting to the Pirkanmaa Regional Environment Centre to demonstrate compliance with all administrative requirements of the Finland WEEE Regulations;
- You pay for transportation of your WEEE to Corning's appointed recycler in Finland.
Corning has established a recycling contract with the European Advanced Recycling Network (EARN) and will cover any costs of treatment, recycling and recovery of the equipment on arrival at the EARN facility in Finland. All New WEEE that arises from the purchase of Corning products is classed as non-hazardous waste.
It is your responsibility to arrange and pay for costs of collection and transportation to EARN. In order to meet requirements stipulated in the Finnish Waste Act, the Finnish Waste Decree and the Decision 659/1996 of the Council of State, you should use one of the following carriers (which hold a valid Waste Carriers license):