The primary way we grow is through innovation. Our diverse innovation portfolio includes products at all stages of development to drive both near-term and future growth. Our ability to innovate throughout a product and industry’s life cycle is one of the primary reasons for Corning’s long-term competitive advantage in the markets where we compete.
By innovating continuously, we’re able to capture a significant share of the market, achieve the lowest-cost manufacturing position, gain the trust and loyalty of our customers, and earn a higher share of the industry’s profits. In fact, over the past few years, we’ve generated approximately two-and-a-half times the profit per dollar of revenue versus competitors in our major market segments.
Our recent innovations include:
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, designed to provide further protection against breakage from everyday drops
- Vibrant Corning® Gorilla® Glass, which enables manufacturers to create colorful design options for devices while ensuring durability and optical clarity
- The extension of Gorilla Glass into automotive and architectural markets; Ford announced the GT featuring a Gorilla Glass windshield
- Corning® Iris™ glass, enabling thinner displays with replacement for plastic light-guide plates, earned display-of-the-year SID this year
- Corning’s ONE™ Wireless technology that delivers robust, reliable optical connections in venues like Texas A&M University’s Kyle Field
- FLORA™ technology, a revolutionary system that addresses the problem of cold-start emissions
- Corning® Fibrance™ light-diffusing fiber, designed to provide thin, multi-colored aesthetic lighting
- Edge8, the industry’s first modular, tip-to-tip optical cabling system to feature an eight fiber cabling design that maximizes per-rack-unit density for better network scalability an improved link performance
- Lotus™ NXT supports high resolution LCD and OLEDs with LTPS and Oxide backplanes, offering best-in-class glass dimensional stability, which is named “Total Pitch Variation,” in panel makers’ high-temperature manufacturing processes
Corning’s products and markets have changed many times over the years, but our innovations share fundamental ingredients: a really tough problem, a combination of materials and process innovation, and a solution that makes a real difference in people’s lives. From Thomas Edison’s light bulbs to the Hubble Telescope to Corning® Gorilla® Glass, this formula has led to more than 160 years of life-changing innovations, and we continue to apply it today.