Our Innovation Model
Corning has a long track record of recognizing and capturing growth opportunities – especially disruptive opportunities. Every one of our five market-access platforms began with a disruptive innovation, and we have leveraged those initial disruptions to build valuable relationships, brands, and insights. Looking ahead, we are continuing to leverage each of our market-access platforms to seize more opportunities for disruptive innovation and growth.
The primary way we grow is through innovation. Our diverse innovation portfolio includes products at all stages of development to drive both near-term and future growth. Our ability to innovate throughout a product and industry’s life cycle is one of the primary reasons for Corning’s long-term competitive advantage in the markets where we compete.
By innovating continuously, we’re able to capture a significant share of the market, achieve the lowest-cost manufacturing position, gain the trust and loyalty of our customers, and earn a higher share of the industry’s profits.
Our recent innovations include:
- Corning Valor™ glass, a remarkable new glass packaging solution that helps protect patients and improves pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, designed to provide further protection against breakage from everyday drops
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass SR+, which delivers an unparalleled combination of scratch resistance, optical clarity and toughness for wearable devices
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass for Automotive interior and exterior solutions that are driving innovations that enable cleaner, safer and more connected cars.
- Corning® Iris™ glass, enabling thinner displays with replacement for plastic light-guide plates
- Corning’s ONE™ Wireless technology that delivers robust, reliable optical connections in venues like Texas A&M University’s Kyle Field and Mercedes-Benz Stadium, home of Atlanta Falcons, starting in 2017
- Corning® DuraTrap® GC gas particulate filters that reduce emissions from gasoline direct injection vehicles
- Lotus™ NXT supports high resolution LCD and OLEDs with LTPS and Oxide backplanes, offering best-in-class glass dimensional stability, which is named “Total Pitch Variation,” in panel makers’ high-temperature manufacturing processes
Corning’s products and markets have changed many times over the years, but our innovations share fundamental ingredients: a really tough problem, a combination of materials and process innovation, and a solution that makes a real difference in people’s lives. From Thomas Edison’s light bulbs to the Hubble Telescope to Corning® Gorilla® Glass, this formula has led to more than 166 years of life-changing innovations, and we continue to apply it today.