Varioptic Lenses Technology
For centuries, scientists have combined lenses of very different optical powers, from diverging lenses to highly converging ones to design and manufacture complex optical instruments. Until now, the optical properties of these types of glass or plastic lenses were fixed.
Corning® Varioptic® Lenses has created a programmable lens that can be reconfigured on demand by a voltage change. The lens can adapt rapidly and continuously from diverging to converging and be modeled to support demanding variable focus applications.
The traditional way to perform the auto focus function is to mechanically move the lens module to adjust the back focal length (distance to the image sensor) depending on object distance. This method presents several drawbacks:
- Requires bulky and fragile motors
- Friction of small parts that can lead to damage and malfunction
- Noise and high power consumption
- Slow focus speed
The unique characteristics of Corning Varioptic Lenses bring an ideal competitive advantage to the market that enables:
- No moving parts, significantly increasing the lens lifespan compared to a mechanical actuator
- Hundreds of millions of cycles endurance
- Faster speed
- Robustness and unmatched vibration and mechanical shock resistance
- Close focus ability
- Low power consumption
- Silent operation
Click here to contact a member of the Varioptic business team.