Patents, Awards & Recognition
Corning’s intellectual property is our most highly valued asset. Representing the compilation of 160 years of discovery, our patents enable us to go where others can’t on the journey to develop next-generation technologies and innovations.
We are one of the few companies with such a wealth of knowledge to apply to present and future research and development programs. In essence, our intellectual property positions us as a global leader in our industries and empowers us to pursue the art of discovery in the way we choose, giving us a distinct competitive advantage.
The achievements of our scientific community are widely recognized. We are most proud of:
- the large number and quality of patents we are granted annually
- our Inventors Hall of Fame researchers – Corning is among those companies with the highest number of inductees
- our four National Medals of Technology – the highest award bestowed by the President of the United States on America’s innovators; to receive it four times is a rare and remarkable accomplishment
- the Catalyst Award for moving women into manufacturing leadership positions
- our Optical Communications business for winning the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award